How to Plant a TreePosted: 1 Feb 2022
Elaine, our plants tree supervisor, explains how to plant a tree. We are planting ours for the Queen's Green Canopy to celebrate Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee.
The best time to plant a tree is in Autumn or early Spring. This will give them ample time for their roots to establish and give them the best possible chance of good luscious growth.
1. When planting your tree you will need a 1 x Tree Tie, 1 x Stake, Rose Tree & Shrub Compost and a Root Growth Promoter.
2. Prepare the soil for planting. You will need a hole a little wider than the pot your tree is in but no deeper - break up the soil at the bottom of the hole to help with good root establishment. You can add a small amount of Rose, Tree & Shrub Compost to the bottom of the hole. Your tree will need to have the top of the rootball at soil level. Planting too deep may damage and even kill the tree.
3. If you are using some root growth promoter, scatter this into the hole. We recommend Growmore or Root Grow Mycorrihizal Fungi. Add per the packet intructions. We really recommend using a root promoter as this will ensure a good stable root system.
4. Remove the tree from the pot and tease out some roots to encourage them to grow outwards into the soil. Place your tree in the hole, and ensure that the top of the rootball is level with the soil surface.
5. Add the stake to the side of the tree, on the side of the prevailing wind. This is will prevent windrock which can tear the roots and create a gap around the base of the trunk. The stake should be a third of the height of the tree, hammered in at a 45° Attach the trunk to the stake using an adjustable tree tie.
6. Fill the rest of the hole with a mixture of soil and Rose, Tree and Shrub Compost. Once the hole is full, firmly stamp around the tree to push and firm it into the ground. You may need to add a bit more soil once this is done.
7. Once planted give the tree a thorough watering and then keep it watered in dry spells.
In this video we planted a Liquidamber Tree. Liquidamber has a lovely leaf all summer that turns a gorgeous red colour in the Autumn. If you are not sure what tree to buy, come into the garden centre and speak to one of our plant's team who would be more than willing to give you their advice.
We do provide a Tree Planting Service, so if you don't have the time or the energy to plant your tree, then we can come and plant it for you. Additional costs do apply.