Gardening Jobs for AugustPosted: 1 Aug 2022
Simon, our Garden Centre Manager, has put together a list of August gardening jobs before we head into the Autumn.
- Make sure water butts are in position, ready to collect much needed rainwater.
- Introduce nematodes to outdoor tubs to help control Vine Weevil infestations.
- Feed and dead-head Roses and bedding plants to encourage more flowering.
- Keep feeding planted tubs and baskets to help keep energy levels up and keep growth and flower production up.
- Under watered Camelias will not produce flowers next year, so be sure to water regularly. They prefer rainwater, but from the tap is better than none.
- Prune rambling Roses this month, removing older material to leave approximately two thirds of the plant to be tied in.
- Make sure trees and shrubs planted this year are kept well-watered.
- Keep your eyes peeled for blight symptoms of yellow legions on tomato leave, brown stems and black fruit. Immediately remove infected material and hope it doesn’t spread.
- Plant rooted strawberry runners where they are to fruit for the next 3 years
- Pinch out the tops of tomato plants grown outdoors, to push the energy into ripening the last of the fruit.
- Expose grapes to the sun by removing foliage that’s in the way.
- Plant ‘certified’ seed potatoes for a Christmas Day crop!! We have many varieties in store now.
- Keep bird baths topped up and feeders too.
- And finally, sit back with your favourite drink and soak up the rewards of your hard work!!